Photovoltaic installation
Permisos para instalar placas solares

Permits for installing solar panels

Publicado el 

Categoría: Photovoltaic installation
√ćndice de contenidos

Are you thinking of installing solar panels in your home?

In order to do so, your roof or façade must meet certain structural and orientational requirements. In addition to this, a series of administrative procedures must be carried out in order to legalise them.

Bear in mind that, in order to install solar panels, you will need to carry out external modifications to your home, and, in order to carry them out, you must apply to the local council and/or distribution company to obtain the relevant permits, as we’ll explain below.

What permits do I need to apply for BEFORE installing solar panels in my house?

PV System Report/Project

Submitting a project or report is mandatory for all photovoltaic installations.

For small self-consumption installations for domestic use, installation companies such as My Green House prepare a report detailing all aspects regarding design, power, materials, type, and quantity of panels, etc.

In the case of large installations, it is also a requirement to present a project approved by a professional engineer, architect, etc.

Works license

This is another of the permits required when you want to install solar panels.

This licence must be requested at the Town Hall, and is subject to the payment of the corresponding municipal taxes and fees. The most common are the ICIO (Construction and Works Tax) and the urban development services fee.

Administrative and environmental authorisation

As a rule, both permits are only required for large-scale photovoltaic systems. In other words, those with an output of more than 100 kWp.

Installations that generate more than 50 MWp must carry out this procedure directly with the relevant ministry. However, it is advisable to clarify this issue with each Autonomous Community.

Network Connection Permits

This permit must be requested from the electricity distribution company for all PV installations located off urban land, and for PV installations on urban land that exceed 15 kWp.


What permits do I need to apply for AFTER installing solar panels in my house?

Completion certificate

This certificate complements the Building Permit, and is used to confirm the correct completion of the work.
Depending on the size of the installation, this certificate can be issued by an electrician (with installations of less than 10 kWp) or by a higher-grade technician (for installations of more than 10 kWp), and you will always need to present it at the Town Hall.

Initial/periodic inspections

Once the solar panels have been installed, an initial inspection must be carried out by one of the Authorised Control Bodies.

This inspection is always recommended, although it isn’t compulsory in installations of under 10 kW located in secure places, without public access, and without any damp.

After this first initial inspection, other inspections should be carried out periodically to check the condition, operation, and general status of the installation.

Operating licence

This authorisation is only compulsory for large installations, and is used to prove that the electrical installation can be safely used.

Contracts for LEGALISING and implementing a photovoltaic system

In addition to applying for these permits, and in order to install solar panels and legalise your PV installation, you must also sign the following contracts/documents:

  • Installation registration. The installation of solar panels must be registered with the Department of Industry in the corresponding Autonomous Community.
  • Access Contract. When you install solar panels, you must notify your electricity company about your new consumption system. Often, this procedure is done directly by the Administration, and the relevant department validates or requests documentation from the installer, as well as notifying the distributor in your area.
  • Surplus compensation contract. This contract is only signed in self-consumption installations with surpluses. The signatory parties are the owner of the solar panels (who act as energy producers) and the distribution company (acting as customer), who will both fix a price and the sharing conditions for the electricity generated. Normally, the distribution companies are the ones who contact their customers to adapt the contract to surplus compensation within 10 days of the new photovoltaic installation being registered.
  • Representation contract and ancillary services. If your solar panel installation transfers its surplus energy to the grid, it will be considered a conventional energy generator, and the corresponding legislation will apply to it. Regarding the ancillary services contract, it is only mandatory if the energy you sell exceeds 1% of the energy generated by the facility.

In order to legalise a photovoltaic installation it is imperative to have an authorised installer or installation company.

At My Green House we can advise you on all the procedures and permits necessary for installing solar panels in your home. Ask us for more information.


Suscríbete ya en nuestra Newsletter y sé el primero en enterarte de todas las noticias sobre energía solar y placas fotovoltaicas.

Lo más leído

más artículos


Saving money with photovoltaic panels is certainly possible. Installing solar panels has many advantages, and one of the most important ones is how much money we can save, which is particularly relevant in these difficult times.
Solar energy is a renewable and inexhaustible source of energy, which offers many possible uses. The most important uses are:
In recent years, both the Spanish Government and the autonomous communities and town councils have introduced subsidies and grants for the installation of solar panels.



Suscr√≠bete y mantente al d√≠a sobre las tendencias del sector, las √ļltimas ofertas y todos los consejos de la mano de expertos.

Toda la información y novedades sobre la energía solar en nuestra newsletter