Companies have a very important role to play in the fight against climate change due to their great capacity for action and the impact they have on the environment. This is why it is so important to make use of renewable energies in industry.
However, this is not the only reason. Photovoltaic self-consumption allows organisations and SMEs to produce and consume their own electricity thanks to the installation of solar panels on their premises, land or the roofs of industrial buildings. And what is the result of this investment? Energy and savings!
According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), more and more companies are opting for photovoltaic self-consumption. In fact, they predict that the use of solar energy in companies will increase by up to 30% in the coming years.
If you too are interested in reducing your company’s energy consumption, saving on your bills, and committing to a more sustainable business culture, then photovoltaic energy is an option that you should carefully consider, and here at MYGREENHOUSE we can help you with everything you need!
How do industrial photovoltaic self-consumption systems work?
Photovoltaic self-consumption systems for companies work as follows:
- Solar panels are installed on roofs or rooftops of industrial buildings to capture solar radiation and convert it into electricity.
- The energy is sent to the photovoltaic inverter, which is the element responsible for converting it to the characteristics of the electrical grid.
- After passing through the inverter, the electricity is fed into the company’s electrical panel and distributed, enabling it to power lighting, electrical equipment, machinery, etc.
- Since photovoltaic systems for businesses are usually quite large, they generate more electricity than the organization needs. This surplus is fed by the inverter into the distributor’s grid.
- In industrial PV systems, the grid will function as if it were a battery: it will receive the excess energy and then put it to use at night or when the system is not generating power.
5 advantages of photovoltaic self-consumption related to savings and sustainability
Some reasons that may encourage you to invest in photovoltaic self-consumption in your company are:
1. Unprecedented savings
Currently, businesses of all sectors and sizes can make savings in electricity costs of over 70% by installing photovoltaic solar panels. The higher your company’s electricity consumption, the greater the savings.
2. An initial investment adapted to your needs
Photovoltaic self-consumption systems are designed to meet any level of electricity demand, whether it’s a small, medium or large company. This allows the initial investment to be adjusted to each company’s energy production capacity.
In addition to this, companies can now receive subsidies and rebates for the installation of photovoltaic panels.
3. High profitability
Installing solar panels makes it possible to take advantage of underused areas such as roofs or rooftops and make them more profitable. The installation of solar panels has become an investment opportunity that is giving a return of 10% per year over a period of 25 years, which is the average lifespan of these systems.
4. Reduction of carbon emissions
Although the financial aspect is very important, another reason for implementing photovoltaic self-consumption systems in companies is the reduction in CO₂ emissions. According to the United Nations Environment Programme, buildings consume 36% of global energy and are responsible for 39% of carbon dioxide emissions. If we replace fuels with renewable energies in our company, then we guarantee a reduction in our ecological footprint.
5. It improves the company’s public image and increases its value
Users and consumers are increasingly opting for environmentally friendly companies and products. Your customers, partners and even your own employees will view your investment in solar energy as highly positive and it will significantly improve your business’s overall image. This change will also give you a competitive edge over other companies in your sector.
In addition to this, having solar panels in your company will also increase its market value, something that can be very beneficial for a possible sale, and to attract new investors.
As you can see, installing a photovoltaic self-consumption system is a safe investment, as it brings many guaranteed benefits to your company. However, before making this decision, we advise you to carry out a preliminary study to determine your company’s energy needs, and analyse the number of panels you need, their size, and where they should be installed, etc. Let us help you!